The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) passed in 2018 and went into effect on January 1, 2020. But it’s not just for California companies; it has national reach and implications for marketers collecting and activating data. Formal enforcement began on July 1, despite COVID-19. There’ remains confusion about its application and compliance.
Search Engine Land contributing editor, Greg Sterling, discussed who CCPA applies to, basic compliance rules (and penalties) and how software can help manage CCPA’s reporting requirements with Lisa Rapp, VP Data Ethics, LiveRamp; Abby Matchett, Enterprise Analytics Lead, Bounteous; and Katelyn Ringrose, attorney, Future of Privacy Forum, earlier this month on Live with Search Engine Land.
The discussion went beyond CCPA and covered the state of digital privacy, as well as a new California 2020 November ballot initiative that would make CCPA tougher and more like Europe’s GDPR. Here is the complete list of topics discussed, with corresponding timestamps in the video:
- 0:00 – Intro
- 4:15 – What is CCPA and what happened on July 1?
- 8:40 – What should marketers have already done to prepare for CCPA?
- 11:50 – What fraction of organizations are prepared?
- 14:30 – Who does CCPA apply to?
- 18:15 – Recommendations for businesses operating in multiple states
- 24:53 – What do you anticipate in terms of the practical effect of the July 1 deadline and the “30-day cure”?
- 31:00 – What specific things can businesses do right now to start becoming compliant?
- 32:20 – Examples of good privacy policies
- 37:20 – Why you need to take care of the outward-facing notices first
- 42:59 – How will CCPA affect Google Ads campaigns focusing on California? 46:25 – What should marketers be considering as they migrate from third to first-party data?
- 53:33 – Red flags on second-party data
- 54:24 – What does the future look like in terms of relationships with data brokers, programmatic advertising, etc.?
- 56:35 – When your business and your lawyers don’t agree on how to handle CCPA.
- 58:50 – Handling opt-out across different IPs
- 1:00:47 – What is CPRA?
- 1:01:45 – Closing tips and remarks from panelists
For more on CCPA and its implications for marketers and digital advertising, see:
We at Search Engine Land hope this series of live discussions, presentations, tutorials and meetups will help everyone stay sharp and up to date on tactics and best practices. If you have an idea for a session or would like to join a panel, email firstname.lastname@example.org.